Wednesday, October 22, 2008

catching nighttime

very young
i'd brought a jar to meet up with eight pm
just minutes before bedtime
minutes before a story and tucked in and washed hands for small prayers
there had been a nighttime tale of fireflies
animals that flew through dark like trucks
sure of themselves and their hazard lights
and from tall things
i'd found each speck and each little life
standing sure and true
i held my jar to them

come to me come to me
sleep in my bed and let me wake to you

i dropped honey in each jar to act as bait
let the light catch and fall
illuminate
this would be home
this would be a beautiful home for you to stay with me

i climbed to the top of the maple out front
branches tapping the roof like fingers
held my jar up up up

the limbs shook and i swayed
and when my father came out he said
what are you doing being so dangerous?
and i told him i was catching stars

i held my jar above my head
be mine
be mine be mine be mine

No comments: